MMA Punch - MMA News, Fight Predictions, and Opinions

Monday, December 04, 2006

Roger Gracie - Can he put the Gracies back on the map?

Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Renzo Grazie, etc. All great fighters in their prime no disputing that. They have also been amazing ambassadors to the mixed martial arts world. However, it's been many years since a Gracie has been dominant. Introducing, Roger Gracie. Roger had his first MMA fight over the weekend at BodogFIGHT. He's a 25 year old Abu Dhabi champ who was handed a worthy challenger in Ron "H20" Waterman. In his first match, Gracie was able to submit the strong wrestler Waterman via armbar in the first round. This guy looks legit and I'm excited to see his next fight. We need a new Gracie. Roger, are you the "one?" Here are some words from the new kid on the MMA block: “I thought [it would end] by choke to be honest,” said Gracie following the bout. “I was expecting at some point to get on top of him. I knew he was strong so it would be hard to catch an arm. But I thought at some point I would be able to reverse and I’m on top, him trying to escape, I’m going to be able to put a choke on. But it didn’t go that far.” “I’m a very calm person always,” he said. “When I’m grappling a lot of people come to ask me how come I’m so relaxed. It’s pretty much in my nature; I’m calm like that. Even sometimes when I shouldn’t be, I’m more relaxed. That’s reflected when I fight. With those guys in my corner, there’s no way I cannot be relaxed. The confidence that they pass me is great. Renzo. Helio. My father. All of them.”

 

eXTReMe Tracker