MMA Punch - MMA News, Fight Predictions, and Opinions

Sunday, April 08, 2007

UFC 69 - Upset about the Upset

Like the MMA masses, I was in awe last night when Matt Serra TKO'd George St. Pierre. I have to admit that I never gave "The Terror" much of a chance. If you look at his fight record it's a bit lack-luster. His last SIX fights have all gone to decision. No look at GSP's record and you see only two of his last six fights have gone to decision. I'm a fan of those fighters who put on exciting fights. Your record doesn't have to be flawless, but if you consistently put on a good show then I'm a fan. To me, GSP represented the next breed of MMA fighters. The complete package. An athlete who was going to be the poster-boy of the UFC and be the champ that became a household name. I think we all desire to see or get behind an athlete who we believe is "unbeatable." This is what legends are made up. I was already wondering just how many title defense GSP was going to rack up. Was he going to beat Matt Hughes record of defense? Instead, St. Pierre doesn't even defend the welterweight title once. He loses to a guy who hasn't ended a fight in over FIVE YEARS! GSP should really really be disappointed with himself. Hats off to Serra, he put on a great performance and showed all the MMA naysayers. I just wonder why this guy had to wait five years to be aggressive enough to actually finish a fight. I am disappointed not only that GSP lost, but also disappointed that a fighter like Serra now holds the crown. I would have much rather seen someone like Josh Koscheck or Diego Sanchez knock off GSP. We will always have major upsets in mixed martial arts, it's part of the sport. This one ranks right up there with the biggest.

Labels: , ,

 

eXTReMe Tracker